Parish Registers

RSS

Parish Registers

 
 
St Nicolas Church as viewed from the north-east 
In the foreground are the ruins of Portslade's Norman Manor House. 
 
The Calendar of Charter Rolls of 1312, now held in London, shows that the Lord of the Manor of Portslade, John de Warenne, Earl of Surrey, was granted a charter by King Edward II to hold a Fair at Portslade annually on the 6th December, The Feast Day of Saint Nicolas
 
The above entry, is a facsimile of the opening page of the Parish Registers of St Nicolas Church Portslade now held in the East Sussex Record Office, which states that the pre 1666 Portslade Parish Registers were destroyed in a fire. The Vicars of Portslade also served as Rectors of the neighbouring village church of St Helen, Hangleton, from 1523-1955.
 
The earliest Parish Registers that survive date from 1666-1812, the previous one having been destroyed by fire in 1666. Others have been destroyed by damp because they were stored in a vault during World War II. They are the Marriage Registers for 1754-1812 / 1812-1837 and the Baptism Register 1812-1853
 
Please Note:- The County Archive is responsible for the preservation and care of all St Nicolas Church Portslade , The Church of The Good Shepherd Mile Oak and St Andrew Church Portslade, Parish Registers, for details of viewing these records, make all enquiries to :-
 
The Keep
Woollards Way
Brighton
 
BN1 9BP
 
or Telephone: (01273) 482349
 
St Nicolas (Portslade) churchyard was closed for burials in 1872, for information of burials before this date contact The East Sussex Record Office who now hold all of St Nicolas Portslade's burial records.
 
A list of all legible inscriptions on gravestone monuments and a map of the Churchyard of St Nicolas Church Portslade can be found at the "Hove & Portslade in the Past (St Nicolas churchyard)"  website page.
For a list of all memorial  inscriptions inside St Nicolas Portslade see the "Hove & Portslade in the Past (Memorial Inscriptions)" website page.

The Church of The Good Shepherd Mile Oak (built in 1967) does not have a churchyard for burials.
 
St Andrew's Portslade (built in 1864) does not have a churchyard for burials.
 
Portslade Cemetery, Victoria Road, Portslade, was opened for burials in 1872, contact theBrighton & Hove City Council for information of Portslade burials after this date.
_______________________________________________
 
Further information can be found by those researching their family history in Portslade by visiting the Brighton's Jubilee Library, which holds an extensive range of material for the study of the City of Brighton & Hove's history and culture, both past and present, An imaginative collection of resources are available for local family history research:-

Jubilee Library.
Jubilee Street,
Brighton BN1 1GE

Enquiries (01273) 290800


Printer Printable Version