|The ruins of Portslade Manor on the north side of
St Nicolas Church
In the Domesday Book there are two references to Portslade:-
Oswald holds half a hide in Portslade he held it before 1066. It did not pay tax, he could go where he would with the land, 1 villager, value 6 s.".
"Albert held half a hide in Portslade. It did not pay tax. 1 villager with half plough. The value is and was 6 s."
Portslade Manor House was in use until 1807 when the new manor house was built. It was then used as an Almshouse for the poor. In the Victorian era it was partly demolished to provide building material for a garden folly in the manor grounds.
Guided visits to the Old Manor can be arranged through staff at the
Foredown Tower Countryside Centre, Foredown Road, Portslade.
The new Manor House was built in 1807, which replaced the Old Manor. John Borrer who was a churchwarden at St.Nicolas, owned all the lands from the north of Easthill including all of Mile Oak, these lands were devoted to farming.
In later years the Manor House was bought by Kathleen Nelson who gave it to the Roman Catholic Church. In 1904 the Manor House became the Convent for the Sisters of the Order of Poor Servants.
Today the Manor House and its grounds are in the care of "Emmaus Brighton & Hove", who are a community dedicated to helping the homeless. There are 400 Emmaus Communities world-wide
Sarah Borrer served as a School Manager of St Nicolas School. When Sarah died in 1908 the house was passed onto Arthur Blaker, a relative of the Borrers.
Hannah Brackenbury donated the land and financed the building of the Brakenbury School in Portslade, later to be renamed St Nicolas School.
The inscription on the School's west wall reads: These Schools were erected by Hannah Brakenbury for the benefit of the Poor of the united parishes of Portslade and Hangleton A.D. 1872.
The Good Shepherd "Tin Hut" Church in 1936
Between the Wars there was a rapid growth of house building in Mile Oak and the Vicar of St Nicolas, Revd. Ernest Holmes, decided that a mission church should be built. In March 1936 a site in Stanley Avenue was purchased from Mile Oak Estates Limited and a “Tin Hut” donated by the Good Shepherd Mission Church in Dyke Road, Brighton, was erected on this new site. The “Tin Hut” was formerly a cook house and mess room at Shoreham Airport’s First World War Military Camp. The “Tin Hut” Church consisted of two 50ft by 20ft standard army huts side by side , the north hut the Church and the south hut the Church Hall.
The cost of erecting the “Tin Church” was £437,13s, 11d. which was entirely raised by the people of Mile Oak. The Church of the Good Shepherd was dedicated by the Bishop of Lewes on the 9th November 1936.
The Good Shepherd "Tin Hut" Church in 1959
In the 1950’s the “Tin Church’s” roof was replaced and the building's exterior tin walls were refaced.
|copyright © J.Middleton
Mile Oak in 2010 as viewed from Southwick Hill
|St Andrew's Church Portslade, built in 1864.|
Evidence found a hundred years ago through house and road building schemes suggests man has lived in south Portslade since the Stone Age. Flint tools were found in Vale Road. Roman cinerary urns were excavated south of the Old Shoreham Road near Victoria Park as were Saxon graves at the junction of St Andrews Road and Church Road. The three Saxon graves were orientated east-west, suggesting they were Christian burials, the remains were reburied in St Nicolas churchyard.
The south of Portslade was originally known as Copperas Gap. The name Copperas Gap, suggests that this coastal part of Portslade was used for the production of copperas or green vitriol, a form of ferrous sulphate used extensively in the textile industry.
The coming of the railway in 1840 brought a house building boom to Copperas Gap.
In 1864 St Andrew’s Church was built to meet the needs of a growing population
|Portslade Urban District Council|
April 1997 saw Portslade along with Hove being merged with Brighton to form a single unitary authority. In the year 2000 Brighton & Hove was awarded City status.
A commemorative stone bearing the seal of the former Portslade by Sea Urban District Council, can be seen today set in the wall of the former Portslade Fire Station in Church Road.
The present day mouth of the River Adur at Shoreham Harbour has constantly been on the move between Shoreham and Hove in the last thousand years due to longshore drift. In the 1690’s Copperas Gap (Church Road, Portslade), was the only part of the harbour where sailing ships could load iron ore destined for London. By 1753 Shoreham Harbour’s entrance was only via Portslade due to the longshore drift. In 1820 a permanent entrance to the harbour was constructed at Shoreham, leaving a tidal canal running through Southwick, Portslade and terminating at the Aldrington Basin in Hove. Over subsequent years lock gates were added to the canal at Southwick to allow larger ships to stay in the Port of Shoreham at low tide.
In ancient times access to the sea for fisherman would have been at Copperas Gap. The longshore drift that played havoc to sailing ships trying to navigate their way to Shoreham Harbour has cut Portslade off from its sea coast. To reach Portslade beach now means a journey to Southwick to use the pedestrian footpath across the lock gates of Shoreham Harbour or road access to the beach is via the A259 to Hove Lagoon.
The station was opened in 1840, the name West Hove was not added until 1927. The original platforms were on the Portslade side of the level crossing. Station Road is the main shopping area for Portslade. The road is a rare example in England of having two names, the boundary of Portslade and Hove runs along the centre of the road. The Portslade side is Station Road and the Hove side is Boundary Road. To add to the confusion Portslade Station is now in Hove and the Portslade side of the road changes its name to Carlton Terrace on the north side of the level crossing while Hove keeps the Boundary Road name.
The Fire Station in Church Road was built in 1909 and operated until 1948.
A historic reminder of the many farms that used to surround Portslade Old Village. The tunnel was built in the 1840’s under the railway line to drive cattle to the slaughter houses in south Portslade. The route from the village was from Drove Road along various twittens and tracks to Station Road and on to North Street to where Portslade's shopping and trading centre was once situated
He became nationally and internationally known as a "prisoner for conscience sake". See the Fr Enraght page to learn more about his life, ministry and publications. At the beginning of the 20th century the house was converted into a shop.
In September 2006, Brighton & Hove Bus and Coach Company honoured the Revd Richard Enraght’s memory by naming one of their new fleet buses after this former Priest of St. Andrew Church Portslade. His name joins the extensive list of locally and nationally famous people who have contributed to the City's life in some way over the past few hundred years with a Brighton and Hove Bus named after them.
He chose Portslade because of his love of the sea, of which he wrote,
"Oh, how I am delighted with this sea-scenery and with my little marine hut ! The musical waves, the ethereal atmosphere, all make me feel as in the olden golden days when I was a boy and dreamed of Heaven".
While living in Portslade he wrote the greater portion of his unorthodox theological works. He came to national prominence in 1874 when he acted as leading counsel for the "Tichborne Claimant", which became one of the most notorious 19th century trials in British legal history, leading to Kenealy being disbarred from his profession.
In 1875 Edward Kenealy was elected MP for Stoke which he held until the 1880 General Election. He died later that same year and was buried in St Helen’s churchyard Hangleton. At the time of Kenealy's death St Nicolas Church and St Helen Church were united into one Parish under the care of the Vicar of Portslade.
There are many excellent books dealing with Portslade's Local History at both Portslade Library and the Mile Oak Library. Some of which, are available from local bookshops for purchase.
“The History of Portslade by Portslade History Group, 1977 & 1989”
“A Brief History of Portslade by Banks, B”.
“Portslade, A Pictorial History by Green, C.”.
“The following titles are by Middleton, J. , A History of St Nicolas School, Memories of Old Portslade 1 & 2, Portslade (Britain in Old Photographs series), A History of St Nicolas Church”.